Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Ambition June 17


Another surprise that shook my foundation of beliefs was the idea of ambition. For years, I carried a boatload of “need to get ahead” because of my personal upbringing. I am sure there are other reasons for other people. But for me, being from a broken home left me with the belief my broken family achieved little. I know I am wrong about that now. However, in my thinking back then, I was the only one from a family of five and an extended family of five that had finished a college degree. I valued education as a way to move out of bad circumstances. Whoopee!
        Well, part of me still believes that some children from broken homes are left with an ambitious energy that says, “I’m going to amount to something, whether anyone else thinks I’m any good or not.” I realize the pull can help you accomplish stuff, but it may not always be honest. Although pulled by an ambition to achieve, I discovered that any reward of “doingness” did not always guarantee a peaceful “beingness.” Building a successful reputation did not always reduce my anxieties and fears. And of course, I’m not implying that all ambition is bad.
The true change came when I admitted that with many issues, I acted cowardly or at least, with hidden truths. Of course, no one dared call me coward. If someone met me head-on with something, I would fight. But I was not choosing the more subtle and better issues of mercy, kindness, gratitude through the right kind of peace. I felt pulled constantly. When you feel pulled, you push back. And I often wondered, because I lacked a positive relationship with an earthly father, did a heavenly father even like me? On the one hand, I wanted to please my heavenly father, but on the other hand I would rebel at His word because I feared Him. It was not the fear, God might send a thunder bolt and zap me. It was more the anxiety He would ask me to give up my true buried self.
        Also, what kept me perplexed was that the very problems of self-centered motives and burying stuff to avoid [which now seems cowardly to me] were the actual success strategies in the world of competition. The world says, “Do anything to maintain a good self-image. Take care of number one. Don’t be too humble; come out strong.”
The world thinking continues with “avoid issues that will corrupt number one. Don’t show too much mercy. You’ll be viewed as weak. Hang on to certain prejudices to keep on top of the ladder of importance. Don’t humble yourself to any because then, you might have to be grateful. Stay focused with your ambition goals so you get what you want and will be thought of as an achiever. Stay aloof so you won’t be too vulnerable.”
Nothing is more seductive than a misdirected ambition, one that strives for praise and power in whatever form it can pursue. Those who waste life in various forms [life or death] are traveling the path of misinterpreted ambition. So many of us Christians get caught up in misunderstanding acceptable ambition [ the need to go beyond ourselves] such that determining who is Christian today and who is not becomes clouded. Christians and non-Christians alike follow too many self-motivated, dishonest goals and those goals tend to achieve the same. [more to follow]

No comments:

Post a Comment